(originally posted 5 October 2011)
Here at http://www.smartpopbooks.com/1136 I have an an essay on disability in the Percy Jackson series:
It'll be there till Tuesday 11 Oct 2011, when it'll revert to excerpt mode.
(originally posted 3 October 2011)
Manda Scott of the Historical Writers' Association has managed to post the first review of Code Name Verity on my birthday. Thank you, Manda - it is a lovely present! Seeing as the book's still 4 months off publication, she's kept this review relatively spoiler free, which is a bit of a challenge in itself.
(originally posted 21 September 2011)
For the uninitiated, WAAF stands for Women’s Auxiliary Air Force (and it's pronounced waf to rhyme with laugh if you're American, or to rhyme with caff' if you're British). Another friend (not the knitting one) sent me this knitting pattern for my birthday last year.
I’m pretty sure she picked it up at the Vintage Knitting Lady, whose website is unfortunately now shut down.
I have actually made 3 dolls using this pattern (more or less), each one departing further from the original ‘Finella, Knitting Expert of Wife and Home Magazine’ pattern. (I do not know if Finella is a real person. But I have followed a couple of her patterns.) This first doll I made as a gift. She is about 12 inches tall. And here she is.
I don’t know why I started on the Accessories. But I kinda went accessory crazy. (Actually, until I looked these pictures up, I had forgotten how much cool stuff I made her.) The pencils, lipstick and cigarettes are all made out of toothpicks. The headset is made out of a pair of Continental earbuds (we have got a collection of about 4 dozen of these useless objects).
Make Do and Mend…
Knitted on a gazillion UK size 12 needles (2.75 mm / US size 2). The pattern keeps requiring you to leave legs, bits of tunic, skirts, etc. ‘on a spare needle.’ I think it calls for ‘oddments’ of yarn, and I did not actually purchase any specially to make this, although I did use an entire ball of Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino ‘French Navy’ (being a rather darker version of Air Force Blue) for the uniform, which was technically supposed to be earmarked for my Finella WAAF pullover. As a result I think I had to buy some more. The hair is embroidery floss.
(originally posted 20 September 2011)
This was Knitting Project No. 2. Its namesake sweater has a personality in its own right in CNV, but mine did not exist in reality until several months after the book was finished.
There was some debate over what the sweater would actually look like. My knitting friend and I turned up this website called The Vintage Knitting Lady, which provided a glory of 1940s knitting patterns from the UK available in PDF form, unfortunately now shut down.
I favored this pattern, Bestway 1963, and my friend favored Bestway 1605.
I believe that, like Text, the actual sweater is open to individual reader interpretation. There is no definitive version and I chose mine based on the fact I thought it would look pretty good on me.
I made the skirt, too! But it is from a modern pattern and technically doesn't conform to wartime standards in the UK because 1) it has a 'slide fastener' (ie, a zip), and 2) it has SEVEN SEAMS and you were ONLY ALLOWED TO HAVE SIX.
British wartime dressmaking rules available here:
Make Do and Mend...
I won’t post the sweater pattern here because it’s not free, but you can order a PDF from the address above for a reasonably low price. I used UK size 10 & 12 needles as per the instructions, which are 3.25 mm / US 3 and 2.75 mm / US 2. I bought old style UK needles for something stupid like 20 pence each at a charity shop. The yarn requirement, however, was WAY out in terms of weight, length, whatever. I am not a knitting blogger and I’m making this up as I go along, so believe me when I say I had to figure out THE HARD WAY how much yarn to use. I ordered it in THREE goes and fortunately they were all from the same dye lot. In the end, knitting to the exact instructions of this pattern, I used 10 balls of Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino (where one ball is 125 m / 50 g). The color is ‘Burnt Orange’ and is now discontinued.
The buttons are Czech glass (but not vintage) from Pavi Yarns.