What’s Past is Prologue
When “Verity” is arrested by the Gestapo, she’s sure she doesn’t stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she’s living a spy’s worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution. They’ll get the truth out of her. But it won’t be what they expect.
As she intricately weaves her confession, Verity uncovers her past, how she became friends with the pilot Maddie, and why she left Maddie in the wrecked fuselage of their plane. On each new scrap of paper, Verity battles for her life, confronting her views on courage, failure and her desperate hope to make it home. But will trading her secrets be enough to save her from a merciless and ruthless enemy?
Harrowing and beautifully written, Code Name Verity is a visceral read of danger, resolve, and survival that reveals just how far true friends will go to save each other. The bondage of war will never be as strong as the bonds forged by the unforgettable friendship in this extraordinary tale of fortitude in the face of the ultimate evil.
- UK Literacy Association Award, 2013
- Edgar Award, 2013
- Shortlisted for the 2013 CILIP Carnegie Award
- Printz Honor Book, 2013
- Boston Globe/Horn Book Award Honor Book, 2012
- Golden Kite Award Honor Book, 2013
- Shortlisted for the Scottish Children’s Book Award, 2013
- 2013 Catalyst Book Award (East Lanarkshire County Council, Scotland)